Construction took 5 years and commercial operation started in 2010.
The project comprises a 45 m high RCC dam, 450 km2 reservoir, 2.5 km tunnel system, surface power station with an installed capacity of 1074 MW delivering 6000 GWhr/yr, regulating dam, 27 km downstream channel, 30 km 115 kV transmission line and 139 km 500 kV transmission line crossing the Mekong to Thailand.
Multiconsult – Norplan Hydropower has acted as Government Engineer on Nam Theun 2 (one of the largest private sector hydropower projects in SE Asia) throughout the development, construction and early operation stages and has been responsible for specifying and compliance monitoring of Government requirements for project design and operational safety.
- Negotiation and drafting of technical schedules of the Concession Agreement
- Review and contributions to Power Purchase Agreements and Construction Contracts
- Design Review and construction monitoring
- Review of project operation and emergency preparedness
- Participation in Dam Safety Review Panel missions
- Monitoring of Government assets
- Monitoring of Concession Agreement compliance